Friday, January 26, 2007

Topic selection, thesis, and approach for paper 1

Well, I went into SL exploring for Crime and Punishment. I changed my clothes, and went to Midian City. Expecting to see lots of stuff, and know exactly what I wanted to write about. Instead, I met someone, and changed my mind. My topic for the first paper will be social interaction. I want to write about crime and punishment eventually, but I think I want to do that for the next paper. That way when I write about it, I will know a lot more, and be able to write a better paper on the subject.

My approach will be explaining my experiences in SL, and the people that I have met through SL. I want to compare it to meeting with people in real life, and also how different it may be. I will describe how I feel about interaction online, and why it just isn't the same as meeting people in real life. Also, how you can get away with being someone you are not, and literally live a second life from the one you're now living. I can see how it could be more comfortable meeting and chatting with someone who you don't have to physically impress. Or, if you goof up and say something embarrassing you can just teleport home! I think this will be a very interesting subject to look into, and write about.

Thesis Statment: (something along the lines of)

Interacting and chatting with people in SL is different on many levels from meeting in the real world.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good topic alyssa...but your thesis statement must be more specific..."different on many levels such as what?....fill in the "what" and your thesis will be more complete...revise and post again

dr. c